to the COVID-19 Pandemic
May 2, 2022
The COVID-19 situation continues to evolve. We have been doing what we can to protect the safety of our responders and the community as we adapt to changing conditions.
Throughout the pandemic, we have continued to respond to emergencies as we always have but suspended most of our non-emergency public interactions when COVID-19 community transmission rates have been high. We are pleased to announce the return of many public activities, including the opening of our fire station lobbies to the public. As always if you have an emergency, the best way to get help is by calling 9-1-1 to get us there with the right equipment and personnel as quickly as possible.
To see the status of our services, see below and note that most of these services are best accessed at our headquarters fire station (26642 Miller Bay Road NE near Kingston) where administrative staff members are generally available to assist Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. in-person or via phone at (360)297-3619. Crews at outlying stations in South Kingston, Hansville and Suquamish are also happy to greet you if they’re not away due to emergency calls or other duties.
- Address Signs: Call us before you stop by so we can have your signs and numbers ready for pick-up.
- Bike Helmet Fitting: Yes! By appointment and only at our headquarters fire station, where we have helmets and trained fitters available.
- Birthday Drive-Bys: Yes — depending on the location of the event and crew’s schedules. Birthday Parties at the Fire Station: Our fire station birthday parties are only available through charity auctions benefiting groups such as local school PTAs, Rotary, Kiwanis and others. Because auction winners were unable to redeem their parties during the pandemic, we are extending the dates that the certificates for these parties are valid.
- Blood Pressure Checks: Yes! Stop by any staffed fire station.
- Child Car Seat Checks: Yes! Car seat checks are offered once a month at our headquarters fire station, and no appointment is required. Check our News & Events page for the next scheduled check.
- CPR & AED Training: Yes! See our News & Events page for the next scheduled class.
- Fire Station Tours: Yes! Call us to schedule.
- Home Safety Surveys: Yes! Call us to schedule.
- Life Jacket Fitting: Yes! By appointment and only at our headquarters fire station, where we have life jackets available and trained fitters available.
- Other Public Events: Contact us.
- Outdoor Burning Permits: Yes — provided there’s no outdoor burn ban in effect. You can use your computer to write your own outdoor burning permit using Community Connect or stop by a fire station to get assistance.
- Smoke Alarm Installations: Yes! Call us to schedule.
- Wildland Fire Safety Surveys: Yes! Call us to schedule.
These policies are subject to adjustment at any time. Call us at (360)297-3619 to verify that conditions haven’t forced a change in our practices.
Finally, if you’re looking for more up-to-date information on COVID-19, we strongly recommend depending upon reliable sources.
- Help First Responders Stay Prepared During This Health Crisis
- Kitsap County Emergency Operations Center COVID-19 Resource Page
- Kitsap County Government Services Online and By Phone
- Kitsap Public Health District Novel Coronavirus Page
- Washington State Hotline: Dial 1(800)525-0127
- Washington State Coronavirus Response Page
- S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
Thank you for understanding the steps we’ve been taking to protect us all.
Be safe and healthy!