Although participants in NKF&R’s Volunteer-Intern Firefighter Program are not paid for their service, they receive thousands of dollars worth of training and invaluable experience to help them better compete for career positions in emergency services. Almost 200 former program participants have used what they learned from us to do just that. Because the program is so successful, there are many applicants for limited slots in the program. This year’s program will start in May, and applications are due by March 27, 2020. How can you get involved?
1. Make sure you’re qualified to apply:
- Be a minimum of 18 years old at the start of the program
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be in excellent physical condition, and provide certification that you’ve passed a CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test, which is available in the region through at least two independent testing companies — Public Safety Testing and National Testing Network)
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Pass written and physical examinations, oral interview, criminal and driving record checks
2. Learn more about the program and NKF&R. Download and print a Volunteer-Intern Program Brochure. Read through our web site. Browse our Facebook page. Follow us on Twitter. Call us at (360)297-3619 during business hours or email to Assistant Chief Sean Moran to ask questions.
3. Turn in a completed application by March 27. Download and print an application or stop by our headquarters fire station (26642 Miller Bay Road NE near Kingston) during regular business hours to pick up a copy.
4. Prepare to take a general knowledge written test on April 4 and, if successful with the written, be interviewed by a panel of veteran firefighters on April 5. Both events will be held at our headquarters fire station (26642 Miller Bay Road NE near Kingston).